Monday, November 10, 2008

Sights from the weekend

I hope everyone's weekend was as good as mine, as I was making a visit to Chicago. This trip was particularly interesting for two reasons. The first reason being the train ride from the airport to my apartment. On the train I had the opportunity to sit with two people from NY, one of whom was a young high school teacher. During our hour long train ride into the city, our conversation flowed from teaching in the U.S. to teaching in Canada, to the cities of Chicago and NY and invariably we landed on this past week's election results. 

I was moved by how much emotion and excitement this teacher displayed when discussing the past two years. She told me about the things her kids talked about in their class, and the celebration they threw the day after the election. She told me about the conversations she had with her parents and grandparents before and after the election and how her grandmother was in tears when the results were announced, remembering a time when she could not even vote. It was a surprising start to the weekend and definitely one of the highlights.

Once my train arrived downtown, the second interesting sight of my trip presented itself. Life-size posters of Barak Obama adorned many buildings and light posts. The entire city seemed to be celebrating.

No comments:

Post a Comment